Study in Australia: What are your post-study employment opportunities?

After graduation, some students wish to return home straight away and some wish to gain valuable work experience in Australia.  Australia offers some of the most generous post-study work rights for international students in the world. Up to five hundred diverse occupations are open to international graduates.

View all News
The post image.

Students can work up to 40 hours per fortnight while studying, however will need to apply for a different type of visa to be able to stay in Australia and work after graduation.  Here are some of the visa options available after completing your studies in Adelaide.

Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485)

The Temporary Graduate visa is one of the most popular visa options for international students who have graduated.  This visa has two different streams – Graduate Work Stream and Post-Study Work Stream.

Graduate Work Stream

  • Temporary visa up to 18 months
  • Available to students who have completed studies at a CRICOS-registered institution.  Applies to vocational courses??
  • Work must be related to the course you studied

 Post-Study Work Stream

  • Temporary visa 2 to 5 years (for full details, please click here)
  • Must have completed undergraduate or postgraduate level studies at a CRICOS-registered institution
  • Applies to graduates of Flinders University, University of South Australia, The University of Adelaide, and Torrens University (Adelaide)
  • Also applies to Bachelor and Master’s Degree graduates from LCB, ICHM, and other higher education providers on a case-by-case basis

 Additional benefits for international student graduates in Adelaide

  • International students that choose to study in Adelaide are eligible for a bonus 5 points towards their migration points test
  • Access to almost 500 occupations across the State Nominated Occupation List and Supplementary Skilled List in South Australia.  This is one of the highest number of occupations available anywhere in Australia
  • Click here to read more about key industries in South Australia
  • Three types of waivers available for international student graduates – work experience waiver, English language requirement waiver, Financial requirement waiver.  Conditions apply – for full list, please refer to Skilled + Business Migration (
  • To access waivers, students must a) complete a qualification in South Australia (minimum 1 year in duration), continue to reside in South Australia after graduation, and meet the waiver requirements

 Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 491)

  • Temporary visa up to 4 years, eligible for Permanent Residency after 2 years
  • Applicants are nominated by the State Government of South Australia to apply.
  • Many benefits of state nomination including up to an additional 10 points towards your visa application
  • Australian Government Department of Home Affairs requires

 Permanent Residency

  • There are a number of different visa sub classes available for permanent residency.
  • The most common ones are Skilled Regional visa (subclass 191), Skilled Nominated visa (subclass 190), and Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189)
  • Depending on individual circumstances, it is possible to apply for permanent residency when holding a temporary visa like subclass 485 or subclass 491


Navigating the world of Australian visas can be quite complex, and we highly recommend speaking to an education agent or migration agent to discuss options related to your personal circumstances.

Adelaide has a thriving economy and offers many opportunities for international student graduates to gain valuable work experience on completion of their studies.

View all News