Change Language

Before you arrive in Adelaide, it’s important to know what healthcare insurance you need and what to do if there is an emergency.

Female and male student in nursing uniform looking at a chart

In case of an emergency, call 000

In Australia, the primary national emergency number is 000 (also known as Triple Zero).

This puts you through to emergency services for:

  • Police
  • Ambulance
  • Fire Service

You should call 000 if:

  • There is a life-threatening emergency
  • Someone is seriously hurt or needs urgent medical care
  • Someone is being robbed or threatened with harm
  • You witness a serious accident or crime
  • There is a fire in progress

Back to top

SA Police

If you need police assistance for a non-emergency, call 13 14 44.

Police in Australia are friendly and helpful and have a duty to protect everyone. The police are here to prevent crime and help you if you are in difficulty. You don’t need to worry about language barriers as the police will find someone (free of charge) who speaks your language and to help you communicate with them.

Back to top

Ambulance Service

If you or a friend have a life-threatening injury or illness, call 000 and ask for an ambulance.

If your Overseas Student Health Cover insurance doesn’t include ambulance use, you can buy ambulance cover from SA Ambulance.

Back to top

Fire Service

If you see a fire in progress, call 000 and ask for the fire brigade.

Back to top

Health Care

As an international student, you must have adequate health insurance for you and your dependents while studying in Australia. You must understand what your obligations are regarding your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).

Overseas Student Health Cover card

When you buy your required health insurance, you’ll get an Overseas Students’ Health Cover (OSHC) card. You must carry this card with you and show it whenever you need to any medical or health services. Make sure you understand what medical services your insurance does and doesn’t cover.

Where can I purchase OSHC?

You must buy your OSHC from an Australian Health fund that has signed a Deed with the Australian Government, permitting them to provide these services.

Learn more about OSHC, including a list of approved OSHC providers here.

Student Stories

Hear from international students about living and studying in Adelaide.

Read more stories