It’s easy to get around Adelaide

Walking and cycling

With broad, flat streets and extensive bike paths, cycling (and walking) around Adelaide is easy and safe. When you explore Adelaide by bike, you’ll enjoy:

  • Dedicated bike lanes on many city and suburban streets
  • Two bike pumps and one repair station located in the city,which you can use for free
  • Plenty of free bicycle parking around the city
  • A network of bike paths weaving through the Adelaide Park Lands and to many inner-city suburbs

Free bike hire from Adelaide Free Bikes (including a bicycle helmet, which must be worn when you’re cycling in South Australia)


Public transport

It’s easy to get around the city and suburbs with Adelaide’s public transport system. It’s safe and affordable and it includes:

  • Free buses and trams in the centre of the city
  • Cheap ticketsfor international students
  • Extensive bus, tram and train networks servicing the entire Adelaide metropolitan area
  • Frequent daytime services and safe after-midnight services
  • Availability of taxi and ride-sharing services (Uber)

The best way to use Adelaide’s public transport is to use a student metroCARD which you can recharge online, or at a variety of shops and places (including on university campuses).

To find out more about Adelaide’s public transport, visit Adelaide Metro and Adelaide City Council.


If you live far from the city, you could get around by driving in Adelaide. Whether you buy a car for permanent use or hire a car for the occasional road trip, you’ll need to familiarise yourself with the South Australian road rules.

In most cases, you can use your driver’s licence from your home country to drive in South Australia. But you’ll have to make sure you have it with you whenever you drive, and it must be valid. If it is not written in English, you may need a certified English translation or an International Driving Permit from your home country.

If you don’t have a driver’s licence, you will need to apply for a South Australian licence to drive a vehicle.

For more information on South Australian road rules and driver’s licence requirements for international drivers, visit My Licence.

If you need roadside assistance, the RAA offers this and other driving related services.


Getting here

It’s easy for you and your family to get to and from Adelaide with direct flights to major Asian airports. Adelaide’s state-of-the-art international airport is only 7 km from the city centre, with buses and taxis available to get you there.

If you want to explore more of Australia while you’re here, interstate flight, rail and bus services operate from Adelaide to all Australian mainland capital cities.

South Australian road rules

Department of Planning Transport and Infrastructure Know The Road Rules Postcard Page 1

Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure Postcard Page 2