Adelaide is a great place for families. If you have school aged children, you can rest assured that most suburbs around the city have their own primary schools and local high schools.

There are numerous options for schooling in South Australia including state, catholic and private schools. The school year runs from the end of January until the middle of December and is broken into four terms with two weeks of holidays at the end of terms one, two, three and the ‘summer’ holiday at the end of the school year which includes a break at Christmas.

Children Study Australia balloonsChildren at the age of four can be enrolled in Kindergarten where they are entitled to four sessions per week in either the morning or afternoon. Full time school runs from the term after a child turns five and the school years run from reception through to year twelve. Most primary schools will either be from kindergarten to year six or seven and high schools from year six to twelve. You may find children of different ages in classes depending on their abilities and often classes may be a mixture of two school years. Several options for child care for infants are available and these can be found at the Australian Childcare Alliance website.

As a rule, schools are zoned and therefore opting to only take enrollments from students that live in the surrounding suburbs.

If you’re a Higher Degree by Research student with children, the South Australian Government provides a fee waiver if you meet certain criteria. Further information on this benefit can be found on the Children of SA Government Endorsed Scholarship Holders page on the SA Government International Students website.

Find out more about different schooling options here.