The International Student Awards recognise and celebrate the achievements of international students.
Applications are now open for 2019!
About the Awards
StudyAdelaide’s International Student Awards are endorsed by His Excellency the Honourable Hieu Van Le AC, Governor of South Australia.
The awards are an opportunity for the international community, academic institutions, local community and businesses to honour the achievements of international students during their time in Adelaide. The award program, now in its ninth year, are highly regarded and a valuable addition to the winning students’ resumes.
Following the application and assessment process, His Excellency the Honourable Hieu Van Le AC, Governor of South Australia will present the awards to the winning students during a function at Government House on Friday 25 October 2019.
The awards are presented for outstanding achievement by international students in the following categories:
- Academic Excellence
- University Undergraduate
- University Postgraduate – Research
- University Postgraduate – Coursework
- Vocational Education and Training
- Sporting Excellence
- Community Engagement
- Arts and Cultural Achievement
- Student Event of the Year
- International Student of the Year (Major Prize) – Awarded to the most outstanding student from across all category winners as selected by the judging panel.
Opening Date: 1 July 2019
Closing Date: 11:59pm, 1 September 2019
Winners will be announced by His Excellency the Honourable Hieu Van Le AC, Governor of South Australia at a function for international students on Friday October 25, 2019 at Government House.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
- Nominees must be;
a) current international students, enrolled in a South Australian education institution.
- b) currently studying or have completed a course within the last six months.
- Nominations for individual awards must be written by the student applying for the award.
- Nominations for Student Event of the Year must be submitted by the student association leadership team
- Previous winners may apply, but must submit a new application.
- All nomination information, photos and supporting material submitted may be used and distributed by StudyAdelaide for media and promotional purposes.
- Nominees agree to participate in media publicity and promotion associated with the awards, including the use of photos submitted, or taken at the awards presentation ceremony.
- Finalists should be available and endeavour to attend the Governor’s Farewell and International Student Awards on Friday 25 October 2019 (inability to attend does not disqualify entry).
Applications must be submitted via online application form.
- All criteria should be addressed in your online nomination. Relevant supporting documents and photographs should be attached to your nomination. You can attach these as the last step of your online application.
- Applications open on Monday 1 July, 2019 and close 11:59pm Australian Central Standard Time (ACST) on Sunday 1 September 2019.
- Students can withdraw their application at any time up to 11:59pm Sunday 1 September, 2019 by emailing email@example.com.
- The award winners will be announced by His Excellency the Honourable Hieu Van Le AC, Governor of South Australia at a function for international students on Friday 25 October, 2019 at Government House.
- Each award recipient will receive an award certificate signed by His Excellency the Honourable Hieu Van Le AC, Governor of South Australia
- The winner in each individual category will receive a travel voucher for a 2-night holiday to Kangaroo Island for two people valued at over $800.
- Highly Commended entries will receive a $200 gift voucher.
- Student association event of the year receives a $750 cash prize to be spent on a future student event.
- The recipient of the International Student of the Year will win a return flight to his/her country of origin. The winner will need to notify StudyAdelaide of their preferred travel dates and book their travel prior to June 30 2020.
- The selection of winners is undertaken by a specialist judging panel convened by StudyAdelaide.
- The judges reserve the right to verify the content provided in any of the applications received.
- Members of the judging panel will maintain the confidentiality of the content of each application, unless consent is given by the nominee to do otherwise.
- StudyAdelaide reserves the right to not award the full complement of awards in any one year, if it is determined that the criteria have not been fully met.
- The judges’ decisions are final and no further correspondence will be entered.
All correspondence should be directed to:
Student Engagement Manager
Level 9, 131-139 Grenfell St
Adelaide SA 5000
Phone: 08 8226 0423
When will I hear the outcome of my application?
Successful applicants will be notified by Friday 11 October 2019 and asked to attend the Governor’s Farewell and International Awards on 25 October 2019. Unsuccessful applicants will also be notified by Friday 11 October 2019.
What documents should I attach to my application?
Any documents that will support what you have written in your application and verify the information you have provided. Eg: any academic awards or recognition from the university, examples of work that you have excelled in, letter(s) of reference. You are required to submit your academic record (not official transcript) during the application process.
What is GPA?
GPA refers to Grade Point Average. This is an academic measure used by universities. If you are studying at another education institution, please include the grade or score that you have received.
Who should be my referee?
Referees are people who are relevant to the content in your application and able to verify some of the information in it. For the non-academic award categories, you need to include one academic referee as well as a second referee who can verify the activities mentioned in your application.
What do my referees have to do?
Your referees should be aware that they may be contacted by StudyAdelaide or the judging panel to verify the content of your application. If you wish, you can ask them to provide you with a reference letter to attach to your application. Please note that a reference letter is not required.
Can I apply in more than one category?
Yes, you can but you will need to complete a separate application for each category.