If you’re attracted to the idea of studying in Adelaide, there are some things it’s wise to do before you get here.
The list below is by no means exhaustive, but will give you an idea of where to start look for accommodation and how to get yourself settled when you arrive:
- Take a look at our Pre-departure flyer
- Start looking for temporary and long-term accommodation by visiting our Student Housing page.
- Make a note of emergency contact numbers including those of your institution, accommodation, embassy and family members.
- Have medical, optical, dental check-ups and arrange any prescribed medication with your doctor before departing.
- Arrange your student visa by contacting the Australian High Commission or the Australian Embassy in your home country.
- Ensure your passport is valid for the intended length of your study period in Australia.
- Check customs and quarantine regulations and pack any items you wish to declare separately.
- Make sure you are enroled in your course. Most institutions will allow you to enrol online, so you can do this before you leave.
- Set up your Australian bank account to ensure that your funds are able to be transferred electronically. The ANZ Bank can help you do this. You can find out more about setting up your bank account on the money and banking section of our website.
- Pack your letter of offer, academic records from previous study, identification documents, important contact numbers and a written character reference to help in securing accommodation or employment.
- Ask your university, school or college if they can meet you at the airport. It’s nice to see a friendly, smiling face when you arrive.
- Tell your Mum and Dad you love them and don’t forget to pack your toothbrush.
- Get connected with our friends from Vodafone when you arrive to call Mum and Dad to let them know you’ve arrived safely, and tell your friends on social media you’re in Adelaide!
- Take a look at the Adelaide City Council’s list of things to do when you arrive in the city.